Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Solipsism

I used to think I was pretty popular because I had so many profile views.

After a while I started wondering why none of my many readers ever commented on my blog. Upon posting a new blog I would check back several times a day, waiting for comments. Always there was at least one more visitor, but never any comments. Maybe I intimidate them I thought. I should allow more room for input and dialog.

I tried being more inviting, more controversial. I even included obvious spelling and grammar errors in hopes of baiting a grammar nazi.

Nothing.

I'd try various trolling strategies, manipulative bids for attention, shameless provocations; I pulled off such reaction-seeking stunts that even the local fox news would've blushed.

I knew I must be on to something because the more time i spent on my blog, editing my antics, reading and rereading and refreshing and checking, trolling and speeling; the more visitors I'd get viewing my blog.

Why won't anyone comment? I was disparaged by the most apathetic set of readers ever to browse a blog.

Eventually I realized that one's own traffic is counted amongst the 'visitor views' and that, in fact, I was my only reader.

I guess in a metaphysical sense, extraordinary self-obsession can be qualitatively construed as being 'super popular'.

4 comments:

  1. hey...your starting to blog more like me with the out-loud thoughts italicized. now you might get a comment or two =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh, I always wondered who's idea that was

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever so often i check in to read your blog, just so you know. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does take over a bit, doesn't it? I always find my search for popularity or power on a site more as a phase, which I quickly outgrow. Just like you seem to have done with your blog.

    ReplyDelete