Friday, July 2, 2010

The regular posts begin (I hope)

I'm writing this more as an act of self discipline than a work of inspiration. I'm trying to get back into the habit of writing and become less dependent upon inspirational impulses and nostalgic whims.

Wednesday night I drove to Weaverville and visited a friend. I was partly conned into attending a pyramid scheme presentation. I say partly because despite directly inquiring as to whether the presentation was indeed a pyramid scheme and receiving a very clear response to the negative, I was completely unsurprised to find myself listening to a very intentionally worded marketing proposal.

Afterwards we went out on the town to two of the only three establishments open in Weaverville after 9pm (The third is oddly a 24 hour CVS drug store). It was my first time in a Weaverville bar. Having long anticipated this moment, I tried to appreciate the ironic novelty of it, but I don't think I did so well. We visited both the Diggins and the New Yorker, met a few friends (and teachers) from high school, and had very stereotypical discussions about girls and sex. Upon my departure we made plans for the 4th of July weekend, which begins this morning and I will try to remember/record.

also, a strange development with my increasingly decrepit mobile device: the particular alarm sound that I have of late been using to wake up from my naps has ceased to sound. That is, every ring/alarm/song/sound in my default repository of tones plays fine except for the one tone that I programmed into all my scheduled naps. I have no idea why one sound, having previously worked great, suddenly fails all together. The funny thing is that I have no idea when the alarm stopped working, every time I woke up before the alarm, I'd turn it off; and every time I woke up after the alarm date, I just assumed that I had slept through it.

oh, and I recently re-watched Boondock Saints and hated it. Well I guess I didn't hate it, but I found myself thinking, 'this really isn't that great of a movie' and I was utterly repulsed by the whole concept of the film. They go around killing people that they think are evil, but they never show one offence done by the supposedly evil men, they just take it all for granted on the word of another 'scumbag' who the audience is suppose to like because he's funny... It's absolutely horrifying. The major offenders referred to are drug dealers and pimps, two activities that I personally don't even think should be illegal (they should be regulated though, more opinion on this later) let alone carry a death penalty. I mean think about what's happening here:

Passionate religious extremists cite holy scripture and immoral behavior as evidence of God's will for them to embark upon a violent holy war against declaimed immoral infidels...

The only difference between the Boondock Saints and Islamic Terrorists is the fake Irish accent.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you write...

    I think it's time to show you my personal collection of thoughts, desires, insecurities, and disappointments.

    <3

    ReplyDelete