Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Game on

I successfully bagged a girl's phone number today. Strangely, it wasn't an awkward experience.

I guess I should admit that it had little to do with my being smooth and almost everything to do with her being unusually interactive.  I mistook her for one of the baristas because she was the first to greet me upon my entering the coffee shop. She complimented my glasses and then proceeded to explain how she was working on a collage for a friend.  I hadn't even made eye contact.

I was there to work, so I didn't let the conversation linger, but after ordering the guilt-free-internet-access coffee that I couldn't finish, I was setting my stuff down at a perfectly suitable table when she asked me if I wouldn't much prefer the two-person love seat she was occupying?  I actually had a lot of work to get done and wasn't in a flirting mood, but I couldn't say no because, 'ballsy', right? But then she says she's not actually using the spot, but its her favorite and she wanted to me be able to enjoy it. She then proceeds to run around the shop like she works there (which she already assured me she didn't)

I'm working for about an hour and notice she's taken her stuff and is sitting off a ways working on her computer, which made me feel a bit awkward but I didn't have time to dwell on it because god-dammit my to-do list never ends.

 Finally the shop is closing and we both get up and I have a chance to make conversation, which she is adorably eager to have.  We swap background details. I comment on a scar given to her by a barbed wire fence.  I show her my 'crashed into a parked car' and 'ring stuck jumping over tennis court fence' scars.  She trumps me with a 'falling out of tree playing ballerina and catching tent-worms' scar. I don't think I've ever had small talk come so easily. I didn't even have to try to impress her.

Tedious story short, we exchanged numbers and I told her I'd invite her out to the lake tomorrow. To which she replied that tomorrow was one of the few days she didn't work 9-5 at Jiffy-Lube.

No comments:

Post a Comment